7 Things You Need To Know About The Lion King In Manila 2018
Jan 16, 2018 9:00:00 AM
It’s not often that big-name musicals like Disney’s The Lion King come to the Philippines, and ticket sales have already reached a new theatrical box office record. If you don’t have tickets yet, you can still buy online at TicketWorld.
While you wait for your show date, read up on some fun facts about the musical and its Manila 2018 run!
1. There are seven songs featured in the Broadway musical and Original Cast Recording that were not in the 1994 animated movie.
These include a solo by Nala entitled “Shadowland” and “The Madness of King Scar,” which the producers chose to delete from the movie.
2. Lion King in Manila is part of the musical’s first international tour, held in celebration of its 20th anniversary on stage and the 25th Lion King Global Production.
The 2018 tour also includes performances in Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and South Africa.
3. South African actors and actresses form a large part of the cast, but Young Simba and Young Nala will be played by Filipino actors.
Each role rotates three Filipino talents for the duration of the Manila performances.
4. These young Filipino actors and actresses were cast after open call auditions conducted earlier this month by Concertus Manila.
These talented Pinoy kids will be working alongside The Lion King veterans who have performed in shows around the world!
5. The Lion King is the highest-grossing entertainment property in history at almost $8.1 billion worldwide.
It’s been performed in 19 countries and eight languages, including Japanese, German, French, Dutch, Mandarin, and Portuguese.
6. The musical’s costumes use a combination of handwoven fabric, intricate beadwork, straw, wooden masks, and puppets to portray the various animals and elements of the African savannah.
Costume designer and director Julie Taymor won a Tony Award for Best Costume Design in 1998.
7. Manila performances have been extended until May 9, 2018.